Sausage & Tortellini Soup
This is one of my boys favorite food. Which is saying a lot because he is super picky and will only eat snacks on most days. This soup is warm and hearty perfect on a cold winter night.
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 5 cups beef stock or canned broth
- 1 14-1/2 can Italian type stewed tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons. dried basil
- 1 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 8-10 oz. purchased package fresh cheese tortellini
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Saute sausage in heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat until cooked through, crumbling with back of spoon, about 10 min. Transfer sausage to bowl using slotted spoon. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Add onion & garlic & saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Return sausage to Dutch oven. Add stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrot, zucchini, & spices. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes. (can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Cover & refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing.) Add tortellini to soup and cook until tender, about 8 min. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan & Serve.